Most businesses find a place to lease. Generally, the landlord’s leasing contract will dictate the terms of lease and control basic operations at that location. Certain items may not be covered in the lease such as utilities, garbage pickup, repairs and maintenance. Make sure your location is zoned for the business you plan to conduct. You may need to send a letter that describes the operation of the proposed business to the Borough’s Construction Official. If your proposed location is zoned for your type of business you will get a Zoning Certificate of Occupancy. If your location is not zoned for the business you will be conducting, you may apply for a clearance from the Board of Adjustment (Zoning Board). In any case, when the use is permitted you need to get a “continued certificate of operation” which involves the changing of tenants.
Zoning Board Contact: Margaret Koontz 908-665-1124